Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mom – Day 359

It is already late and I should be getting ready for bed but I can’t seem to stop reading about the horror the women of Afghanistan and Western Pakistan had / have to endure under the Taliban. I can’t believe that God or Allah, condones the treatment of women in such a degrading manner. Regardless of how I may or may not feel about the war in Afghanistan, I do think that it is shameful how the Taliban have treated these HUMAN BEINGS. The Burqa is just one small aspect of how they wanted full control of “their” women. The women and girls that happened to be born in this part of the world were stripped of everything. They were stripped of their education, social life, education, medical attention and being productive citizens. Imagine one day waking up and everything was taken away from you, no more schools, doctors, beauty salons, even your laughter. I encourage all women to read Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi. A girlfriend of mine told me to read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and the other book, which I am about to read, Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.

Well, I am upset that I missed Zach’s call twice yesterday. Can you believe that, I can’t. I have been glued to my phone all day yesterday except for the ½ hour that I left to go out to eat at the Truck Stop and then when I went to the bathroom (I didn’t feel the vibrate of my phone). I do know that he made some contact with one of my nephews today so that makes me feel a bit better. I need to try and be more positive so I can be focused on positive vibes instead of negative ones – Easier said than done, right! I didn’t hear from him today either but I know that I can’t control this (again this is what I am saying now – tomorrow I might be a basket case)

Thank you all for reading this – did you know you were going to be my Therapist? It is nice to know that people care.

I love you Zach, be safe.
Xoxoxo - Mama

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    My heart is with you from here in CT. I think you are wise to work your way up (or down) to Thousand Splendid Suns. It is brutal, as is the Taliban's treatment of women. You take care and stay sane! Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read all those books and loved them all they are so powerful..also of coarse, Kite Runner..hard, but so important...thinking of you everyday and wishing you strength!!!

    ReplyDelete