Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 59

Mom – Day 59

I spoke to my girlfriend Becky today and she was telling me how she was happy that Zach would be getting out of Afghanistan soon. She said that only to find out that another dear friend of hers will have their son leaving for Afghanistan soon. I told her that maybe he will not be in the direct combat areas but then she said that this young man is a medic, he will be a combat medic. My heart went out to this young man and his family because that is a very dangerous job. This year is the deadliest year of the war.
On Facebook today I looked at Robert Golden’s page (my friend’s Mary son who is stationed in Afghanistan where Zach is but they do not know each other) and he posted a video that is a tribute to one of our fallen soldiers. The soldier is Vinson Bryon Adkinson born 12/13/1983 and died 8/31/2010. He was a friend of Roberts – it is so hard to see this wonderful person so full of life, recently married with so much still to do and now he is gone. At the beginning of this video tribute there was this quote “It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.” --Father Dennis Edward O’Brian, USMC

I love you Zach
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment